Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Reworked Chicken n Dumplings recipe

My husband loves Chicken n Dumplings. We had it at a friends house one night, and he spoke so highly of it, I had to get the recipe from her. The thing is, she used a combo of a recipe for chicken pot pie filling and a recipe for dumplings from, I think, Joy of Cooking. So when it got to my kitchen, it was already piece meal. Since that time, I have changed it to whole wheat and dairy free. I also use a triple batch of white sauce from my More-with-Less cookbook because the other recipe didn't seem to be enough liquid. Every time I make it, I have to do all the math in my head (yes, I know, most of it is easy, but still!), keep all the books and recipe cards out, and remember what I've tried and what works and what doesn't.

What doesn't: sweetened soy milk in white sauce. We're going for savory chicken soup here folks. Also, all whole wheat dumplings take a ridiculously long time to cook and are a little brick like.

Here is the recipe, in More-with-Less formatting because I like it. Italics are my commentary, if you want to copy and print, delete those parts :)

Whole Wheat, Dairy Free Chicken n Dumplings

Soup
Melt in heavy saucepan
6 T margarine
Blend in cooking and stirring until bubbly
6 T whole wheat flour
3/4 t. salt (okay, that is tripling the recipe, just dump some in)
Using wire whisk to prevent lumps, stir in
3 c chicken stock
Cook just until smooth and thickened. Stir in
2 c cut up cooked chicken
1 10 oz frozen peas and carrots (I use safeway's organic mixed veggies: carrots, peas, corn)

Dumplings
In a new bowl place
3/4 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c white flour
2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
Add
3 T shortening
Cut shortening in until mix resembles fine crumbs. Stir in
3/4 c soy milk (I often have to add more)
Drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot meat or veggies (meaning do not drop it into just liquid where it will hit the bottom of the pan). Makes about 8-10 dumplings. Cook uncovered for 10 min. Cover and cook ...

...a lot longer then the 10 minutes it calls for. I think the whole wheat makes it take a lot longer. I'm assuming the dumplings cook from the bottom up, so I watch and as soon as the top doesn't look doughy, I check one with a fork. I've never had the inside be uncooked when the top looks done, but I'm paranoid that way. I will try to track it next time I make it because I keep totally underestimating how long it will take to finish. This is an easy to make recipe, but very time intensive. And very nummy. Even my dad, who is pure meat and potatoes, took a second helping of this.




2 comments:

Aubrey said...

Just an FYI not long ago I made a white sauce with hemp milk and it was wonderful. It turns out much better than soy.

His Talmidat said...

Good to know! My husband loves hemp milk, and I definitely don't mind it! Although it is overwhelming, I am thankful to live in an era with so many alternatives.