Friday, November 07, 2008

Lies Young Women Believe...


This is a book by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. The teen version of Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free. Both excellent books in my opinion.

This book deals directly and pointedly with issues that face young girls who call themselves Christians. It is not a "be true to yourself" or feel good book. It is very loving, I think, and had I been a Christian when I was a teenager, I would have wanted this book. It has helped me look at some of the lies I believe even now as an almost 30 year old wife and mama.

It is broken into 3 parts. Part 1 - The Landscape of Lies (what a lie is, who fell for it origionally, what the truth is). Part 2 - Lies Young Women Believe. And Part 3 - Overcoming Lies. The 2nd section covers some interesting lies about:
  • God
  • Satan
  • Myself
  • Guys
  • Relationships
  • My Faith
  • Sin
  • Media
  • Future
Here are a few of the specific lies they cover that impressed me the most (that they would discuss, not that I necessarily fall for!): God is not enough; I've never been exposed to satanic activities; It's not really sex; It's okay to be one person at home and a different person with others, especially online; My youth pastor is my connection to God; and my fav "Having a career outside the home is more valuable and fulfilling then being 'just' a wife and mom."

I strongly believe that all parents who have daughters under the age of 30 (really) should read this book to get a better understanding of what is at war with these generations. Especially those whose girls are now teenagers or will be soon. The online aspect of this generation is a whole new ballgame, and we are generations into feminism.

I strongly believe that any person who goes to a church where there are young women or girls who will become young women should read this book. Especially youth pastors and their wives (and yes, I think youth pastors should have wives before they act in such a role).

I wish strongly that all husbands of Christian wives would read this book and the one for "regular" women. You are our protectors, even if we don't know or accept that, and these really are the lies that go through our heads. Please pray for us!

All women should read the general book, all 30 and under should read both.

I could go on and on, quoting some of their hard hitting lines and all the points that hit home for me. But read it for yourself. Their goal is obvioiusly to turn women's hearts to God and the role He has for us, to turn the hearts of girl's to their families and the adults He has placed around them. To honor and glorify, bring peace and truth. And personal accountability. Not for the faint of heart.

No comments: