Saturday, September 29, 2007

Biased translating?

For me, this has been the hardest part during this time of God opening our eyes to the full truth. The translating errors and additions that are so apprent when I take the time to look into them.

This morning I read this verse on one of my fav blogs:

But of the Son He says, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, and the righteous scepter is the scepter of his kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness above your companions.”
(Hebrews 1:8–9, quoting Psalm 45:6–7)

I am overly aware of the use of "law" and "lawlessness" these days as my King has given me a greater understanding and love for His law as something good and holy, not bondage causing. So when I read "you have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness" I thought, "hey, I never noticed that!" And here is why:

But of the Son he says,

(A)
"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions."
[same verse, English Standard Version]

So I went to studylight.org to look at the interlinear bible. I'm learning not to take anyone or any translation at face value, hopefully not to a fault :0) They use KJV, so the phrase is "hated iniquity." I clicked on iniquity and here is the definition it gave me:
  1. the condition of without law
    1. because ignorant of it
    2. because of violating it
  2. contempt and violation of law, iniquity, wickedness
The word "wickedness" that ESV used does not conote the same thing AT ALL. Wickedness to me is something really bad, but I don't necessarily connect it to God's law in the sense it looks as if it should be. In the KJV, the Greek word Anomia translated "iniquity" in this verse is elsewhere translated transgress the law, transgression of the law, unrighteousness. In NAS, according to studylight, it is lawlessness or lawless deed(s).

It is like this verse, that was a huge turning point for me and my Favorite in all this:

(Y)
Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.
I Never Knew You
Build Your House on the Rock
("Not everyone who(AA) says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will(AB) enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who(AC) does the will of my Father who is in heaven. (AD) On that day(AE) many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not(AF) prophesy in your name, and cast out demons(AG) in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' ( And then will I declare to them, 'I(AI) never knew you;(AJ) depart from me,(AK) you workers of lawlessness.'
Matthew 7:20-23

Most believers who have been believers for very long know this verse. "Lord, Lord...I never knew you." It is always presented as being directed at unbelievers. But I had never noticed before this year how it ended. "I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness." It is the same greek word as above. Torahlessness, they didn't keep or perhaps care for Torah, God's very instruction. The implication of that verse is slightly terrifying, and reminds me of how glad I am that God is the gracious judge and not I.

No comments: