Sunday, September 09, 2007

Proverbs 9:10

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
(W) and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.
Proverbs 9:10

I'm not doing well at posting on this, so I am going to quickly write out what thoughts come to my mind and if I get back to flesh them out, so be it!

My family things the idea of fearing the Lord is ridiculous. Their thought: If God is all good, and we are made in His image, we are all good so there is nothing to fear.

The world, both secular and sometimes Christian thinks it is ridiculous too. Their thought: If God is a loving, grace filled God, my best friend, what is there to fear? Plus, to fear Him is to just show Him reverence.

My thoughts: If the Word says fear of the Lord is the beggining of wisdom, I want to fear Him. I more or less understand in my head the importance of fearing Him, but as far as feeling it, not so much. I don't believe I have the reverence for the King that He deserves. I know, and love, but don't rightly comprehend this scripture:

(B)(C)
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matthew 10:28

[a]I don't, we don't know what it is like to have a King. I think of King as dictator, because when I hear the word "king" I think of all those history classes, or Braveheart, where the king is a no good, slimy, power hungry HUMAN. But we're not dealing with a human here. We are dealing with the awesome King of the universe. A King that went before His people, destroying anyone who would cause them harm or temptation. A King that stood behind His people to protect them from the enemy. A King that spoke directly to His people so they would know exactly how to serve Him, if they cared to choose His ways. A King that came to earth and paid the penelty for all the times I did not choose His ways. A King who died for me. That is the kind of King I want to fear and serve.

Then there is this verse:

Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace,
that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 4:16

My old self, before God started my facination with His Kingship, pictured something very strange when I was taught this verse. I pictured I had the right to nonchalantly bolt into the throne room of God and demand my need. After all, Christ died for me so I had the right, right?

Now, I cringe at that thought. And think of Esther.

"All the king’s servants and the people of the king’s provinces know that if any man or woman goes to the king inside the inner court without being called, there is but one law—to be put to death, except the one to whom the king holds out the golden scepter so that he may live. But as for me, I have not been called to come in to the king these thirty days."
Esther 4:11


To approach the King is a privilege one does not take upon themselves. It is something offered by the King. We don't brashly choose to approach God, He calls us to His throne. Do you see that there? To enter the inner court of our King we must be called. The call must come in His name. If we come without His invitation, we risk death. Unless...unless He holds out the scepter and grants us life. Which through His Messiah He has done. Yeshua haMeshiach took the penelty of death we deserved.

Look at that. Esther was the kings wife. The congregation of Israel (even those grafted in) is the Bride of the King. We don't deserve the scepter, but because of Meshiach, we can confidently, and humbly, approach the throne of the King because we are called in His name.

What an awesome King we have!



No comments: