Thursday, May 08, 2008

My Role: Part 1

I went to a bible study for moms today, and was challenged by the topic. The pastor's wife leads the group, and really focused on what it means to be a mom, what God's word says we are to do, and then left us with questions to ask ourselves about ourselves and our children. It is nice to see that everyone struggles with the same things, and it gave us a few chances for people to ask specific questions about problems with their kids.

Here are the verses we went through or didn't get a chance to go through (we talk so much!)

"So I would have younger widows marry, bear children, manage their households, and give the adversary no occasion for slander." 1 Timothy 5:14

None of us are widows in the group, but that isn't the point. From this, God lets us know what He expects of us as wives: we are to bear children (as He wills), manage our household and give no occasion for slander. Food for thought.

"Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward."
Psalm 127:3

Here we learn very basic info: children are both a gift and a reward from God.

It was pointed out that for some reason, He chooses not to bestow this particular reward on some women and some women who have this opportunity don't see it as a reward. In the world, many mom's see their children as a burden and a nuisance. This leads to strained relationships through generations, choosing not to have children at all to continue one's own hobbies, or the horrific choice of abortion. This can also be a moment to moment blindness I think, with all mom's forgetting that each and ever moment is a gift, no matter how incredibly frustrating. We have lost that knowledge in our...world I guess.

We also talked about the fact that the King of Kings chose these specific children, with their specific personalities, talents and weaknesses for His gift to us. And that our job is to raise them to serve Him. We are raising His children! Yikes!

"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands. She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar. She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."
Proverbs 31:13-15

Some odd descriptions of a wonderful wife here. I'm not thinking He expects me to go out and knit my family clothes. Here we see that: she clothes her family, she feeds her family and anyone else in her household, she does it awfully early in the morning :0) and she does it willingly. Some translations say "gladly." Something to work on.

I was about to say that I enjoy doing most activities in my day, but I'm not sure that is true. There are quite a few things I avoid (dishes, floors) even though they really aren't that bad. And I get really irritated with some of the parenting duties, feeling like Teeny Tiny and my niece get in the way of me doing my job. Wow. That is not something I ever expected. The Prov 31 wife provides for her household. I think that means everyone who is in it. So lets work on getting things in the right perspective.

She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
Proverbs 31:21

Scarlet is also translated as "double thickness," which I take to mean warm. We shouldn't worry about our families for they are provided for. I think this also stems from the above section. If we are doing what we should (provide clothes and food) we don't have to worry. If we sit around idly it won't happen and we will worry. I would like to say that I don't think this means we are to work outside the home necessarily, but to use the resources we have to ensure our family has what it needs. Whether it be buying clothes, learning to take care of the clothes we have, living frugally/within our means, or asking for help when we don't know how to do these things. Then any worry that rears its ugly head can be pushed back with the knowledge that we are doing what we are supposed to and God is taking care of our family.

She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Proverbs 31:27

Ouch. This has been bothering me for the last few days, so it was a good reminder to listen to that. I am to do my job and not enjoy being idle. Reading blogs when laundry has been on the couch for days? I need to have My Favorite hide my computer again. I don't enjoy wasting time, but I like doing it. It leaves me feeling guilty and lazy, but that doesn't stop me.

"Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her"
Proverbs 31:28

The pastor's wife wanted to point out that while this is true, if we do our job, our family should be thankful, it isn't a promise. Our children might never thank us, most likely will not. Our husbands might never notice. But we are still to be the wives and mothers God calls us to be.

"...and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus."
2 Timothy 3:15

This is obviously showing what Timothy's family did for him. It isn't directly speaking to moms about what we are to do, but indirectly it is pretty clear. We should teach our children, from infancy, the Word of God. How else will they understand and choose His salvation? I don't do this well. I don't read the word to her and I don't pray with her.

Okay, I will have to make this a continued post. There are way more things we went through. But my mind needs to work through this and I need to get the laundry done.

Lets have a quick breakdown of what I need to be focusing on here:
  • Bear Children - working on that :0)
  • Manage household - always working to do that better
  • Give no occasion for slander - need to work on attitude, idleness and a wayward tongue
  • Children are a reward - remember Teeny Tiny is God's child who He chose for me to raise
  • Provide for my family - continue to plan meals, cook, have snacks, take care of clothes, help to make what He provides through My Favorite to be more then enough
  • Don't be afraid - rest in knowing He is providing and has provided
  • Idleness - hide computer
  • Being called blessed - do the work God has asked of me, but don't expect a reward while on earth
  • Scripture from childhood - figure out how to speak His word into Teeny Tiny's life at Teeny Tiny's level of understanding (or close to it)
Whew. Laundry sounds easier, why have I procrastinated?!

Rest of the "My Role" series:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

No comments: