Monday, May 12, 2008

My Role: Part 4

"He established a testimony in Jacob
and appointed a law in Israel,
which he commanded our fathers
to teach to their children,
that the next generation might know them,
the children yet unborn,
and arise and tell them to their children,
so that they should set their hope in God
and not forget the works of God,
but keep his commandments"
Psalm 78:5-7

The bold section of the above verse is the piece we were given to study. I personally don't like jumping into a verse mid thought as I've found it tends to leave something important out. You don't know what "them" is that the next generation might know unless you read the lines before that mention "testimony" and "law."

So, what is it I should be teaching my children so that even my great, great, great grandkids might have a chance to know God?

I should be telling Teeny Tiny and this new baby of God's testimonies, law and commandments. (I'll look at what these mean below)

Why? So all generations will know what God has done, did do and will do, all the while praying because of that knowledge they will want to follow His commandments to show their love and thanks.

No pressure! It does say "might know them." I wanted to see what Study Light's interlinear bible said "might" meant, but it doesn't say. So here is how I interpret that section: We are to teach our children the works, law and wonder of God so that they have a chance of understanding. If we don't, they have no chance. If we do, it doesn't guarantee they will know them on the level putting their hope in HaShem, but that is between them and God. This verse is telling me what I need to do.

I have a lot of work ahead of me. Working on me is one of them, because if I don't show them I put my hope in HaShem, how should they ever expect to do it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

testimony (v. 5) - edot - online definitions: an assertion offering firsthand authentication of a fact; something that serves as evidence
FFOZ definition: Revelation, or Torah as a witness of God and His righteousness
Translated as:
admonitions, ordinance, testimonies, testimony, warnings, witness (in KJV and NAS from Study Light)

law
(v. 5) - torah - instruction, connotes the whole will of God as imparted to man for his teaching (FFOZ)
Translated as: Law, custom, instruction, instructions, law, laws, ruling, teaching, teachings

commanded
(v. 5) - tzavah - command form of mitzvah/commandment(s)
Translated as: yikes, too many to include here, check Study Light's Interlinear Bible

commandment
(v. 7) - mitzvah - actions, deeds, the things we can do, described in detail by God
Translated as:
command, commanded, commandment, commandments, commands, obligation, prescribed, precepts, terms, things, tradition, what (yes, NAS translates it once as "what"... good question)

Rest of the "My Role" series:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

No comments: