Sunday, May 18, 2008

My Role: Part 5

"...and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled."
Titus 2:4-5

Right before this verse, the section identifies that the older women are supposed to be the ones who are training us young women. Ah, I'll just include it: "Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good..."

What do we get from this verse? I should:
  • Love my husband
  • Love my children
  • Be self controlled
  • Pure
  • Working at home
  • Kind
  • Submissive to my husband
Why? So God's word is seen in a good light.Here are some verses I felt went along with these aspects of being a wife/mom, any others are welcome:

Love my husband

"Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD." Leviticus 19:18

"For your Maker is your husband, the LORD of hosts is his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth he is called." Isaiah 54:5

"The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband." 1 Corinthians 7:3 *wink, wink*

"To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband" 1 Corinthians 7:10

"If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him." 1 Corinthians 7:13

"For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife..." 1 Corinthians 7:1

"However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband." Ephesians 5:33

"Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses." Prov 10:12

"Whoever covers an offense seeks love..." Prov 17:9

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

My own thought: over and over God's love is described as steadfast

Love my children

Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:18

"Whoever spares the rod hates his son,but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him." Prov 13:24

"For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:11

"Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." Matthew 10:37

"...but Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 19:14

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

"Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:4 - Says "fathers" in english, I wonder if the Greek is "parents" as spanish for parents is the plural for father "padres," either way, I think it applies

My own thoughts: To love my children I MUST NOT play favorites. See the story of, well, every sibling rivalry issue in the bible to see why not. No favorites!

Be self-controlled

"House and wealth are inherited from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the LORD." Prov 19:14

"A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls." Prov 25:28

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." Galatians 5:22-24

"...likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire..." 1 Timothy 2:9

"...for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age..." Titus 2:11-12

"For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love." 2 Peter 5-7

I know there are more verses that apply to this idea, but can't figure out what to search for to find them. Some other words that apply to the idea of being self-controlled: disciplined, will/will power, abstain/abstinence, firm

Pure

"...the precepts of the LORD are right,rejoicing the heart;the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes" Psalm 19:8 - I can't be pure without His word.

"He who has clean hands and a pure heart,who does not lift up his soul to what is false and does not swear deceitfully." Psalm 24:4 - Don't follow false things, don't swear

"How can a young man keep his way pure?By guarding it according to your word." Psalm 119:9 - Again, God's word

"The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD,but gracious words are pure." Prov 15:26 - Speak graciously

"All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes,but the LORD weighs the spirit." Prov 16:2 - Remember, it is all God's work, none are pure

"Even a child makes himself known by his acts,by whether his conduct is pure and upright." Prov 20:11 - What I DO reflects purity or not

He who loves purity of heart, and whose speech is gracious, will have the king as his friend." Prov 22:11

Working at home


All of Proverbs 31
Kind

Kinda goes along with all the other words

Submissive to my husband

"But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God." 1 Corinthians 11:3

"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord." Ephesians 5:22

"Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands." Ephesians 5:24

"Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord." Colossians 3:18

"Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives," 1 Peter 3:1

"For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands," 1 Peter 3:5

"However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband." Ephesians 5:33 - And there it is. I can't just submit and say "Fine, have it your way," but God asks me to respect My Favorite in my submission. Thankfully, that isn't very difficult at all.

Wow. That took a few days to work through. But how rich is HaShem's word?! Why do we, excuse me, I ever doubt that He has an answer for all my so-called woes? He is awesome.

Rest of the "My Role" series:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Update: Not that it matters to anyone reading this, but I actually posted this on June 4th, not sure what blogger is thinking.

No comments: