Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Role: Part 3

"The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down."
Proverbs 14:1

Sometimes the internet is such a bother. In the case of looking at this verse, it was both a bother and a joy for me. I find myself looking for what other people think before really thinking through a verse all the way. Not cool. But I did come across a blog post that was really helpful to me, so, thanks be to God that He used my laziness.

I think this translation, ESV, could make it look like the wise woman builds her house and then tears it down with folly. Others make it look like what I suspect it really means. A wise woman is one who builds her house. A foolish woman pulls it down on her head. 2 seperate women.

On the other hand, I think this is a moment to moment choice we women have too. Somedays we are wise, choosing the activities and attitudes that help us build and manage our homes and families. Other days, yeah, not so much. When doubt, laziness, dispare, frustration, feelings of "unfairness" are allowed to take over, I know I tend to start ripping pieces of the wall off. Not literally of course, but its like I am watching myself scream, yell, pout and cry while both enjoying my pitty party and wondering who in the heck that who is whining. My poor Favorite! And Teeny Tiny. And pets.

I have been struggling with this noticably since Teeny Tiny was born. I'm not sure I did enough managing before that for it to be an issue. That and God has really been doing some refining since she was born, of which I am glad and willing to take part in. Hurts though.

If you get a chance, read the post Tearing Down Our Homes at A Wise Woman Builds Her Home. She just posted it on the 29th of last month, and I've never even seen this site before, but it came up in my search on this verse and really helped me keep every thought captive yesterday. I feel like it is the first victory in a long battle. The first day I really chose to be content with how things went before spiraling down. Anyway, go read it!

Rest of the "My Role" series:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

No comments: