Thursday, October 16, 2008

Meals: Congo Squares

Okay, these aren't a meal, but if you leave them out on the counter, they might end up being so!


(okay, I'm no photographer, but they taste better then they look)

Two days ago, I made Congo Squares under the watchful eye of my MIL. I learn so much better and work so much faster if I have someone I can ask questions of the whole time! This is a recipe that was lost for years and is recently been found. I asked her where it came from and she said her mother made for them growing up, but she doesn't know where it came from before that. Great Grandma M sometimes made them with dates, Oma said, which was horribly disappointing. Anyway, with chocolate chips, this is a very rich, irresistible dessert that is really easy. Easy to eat too, so again, don't leave them on the counter.

Congo Squares

Ingredients
2 3/4 c flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c shortening/butter
2 1/4 c brown sugar or 1 lb box
3 eggs
1 c nuts (opt)
1 12 oz pkg or 2 1/2 c. chocolate chips

Directions
Mix flour, baking powder and salt. Melt shortening. Add to brown sugar. Stir to mix. Allow to cool slightly. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each one. Add dry ingredients. Then add nuts and chips. Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Bake 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
Results:
We made these in her microwave that is also an oven. Preheats really fast and is big enough for a 9x13 pan to rotate!

Taking them to Sukkot service tonight, so we shall see how they are received. UPDATE: The middle ones are DELICIOUS, but gooey, so we didn't take them all. Darn, we'll have to eat them ourselves. Of what we did take, there was only one left.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Man, these look so good. I'm going to have to give them a try! By the way, what grocery stores do you have near you? I'll try to find some info for you.

His Talmidat said...

They are delicious, beware!

We have Safeway, Walmart, and I guess Rite Aid and Walgreens, I just never go there for anything, so I never think of them for food. And Grocery Outlet, but that's a whole different place :0)