Monday, October 13, 2008

Meals: Pot Roast

Like I mentioned in the previous post, we eat mostly vegetarian dishes. A year and a half after Teeny Tiny started eating solids, and we are having to rethink that conviction. Why? She hasn't eaten a dinner I have made EVER. Outside of pancakes or eggs, and the odd black bean and sesame spinach salad (huh? Yeah, I don't get it) I made once. That is, until last Shabbat.

(from veggiemealplans.com a really creative site)

I had some chard to use up. I don't like chard, but I wanted to give it another chance. But all the recipes I had were for side dishes, and I had Beet Green Gratin planned for dinner. Beet greens with a side of chard? Yuck.

(from foodblogga.blogspot.com, don't know anything about it)

My Favorite suggested I cook one of the roasts we had just recently received from his side of the family. They got a half a cow sometime last year, and were kind enough to share with us when we realized Teeny needed to eat something more then quesadillas.

So I made a roast. I had to chop off 3 corners of it to get it in the dutch oven I have (from my wonderful MIL), but I got it in, all by myself. Praise God for serated knives.

Here's the recipe, if it can be considered that:

The "Thank You Nor" Roast

Cook time: 3 hours

Ingredients
Roast
Water
Worcestershire sauce
Seasoning (I used Jonny's)
Veggies, cut up (We had potatoes and carrots)

Directions
Set oven on 350 degrees.Take roast out of freezer 3 hours and 5 minutes before you want dinner done. Cover bottom of dutch oven with 1 inch water (don't measure, just guess). Place roast in dutch oven, still frozen. If it doesn't fit, cut off some pieces and throw them in too. Watch out for bones. Douse roast with Worcestershire sauce (pronounced worst-eh-shire around here) to keep the seasoning on. Add as much seasoning as you'd like. Once oven is heated up, put the roast in and set timer for 2 hours.

Prep your veggies while you wait if you haven't already. (We used some very small potatoes, some which didn't get cut up they were small enough. Carrots were pretty small too, so those went straight in, skin and all) When 2 hours is up, pull dutch oven out, take lid off and dump veggies in. There will be a lot more water now because your roast was frozen. Place covered roast back in the oven and set timer for 1 hour more. Eat and enjoy. Save bones for The Pup.
Results:
Delicious! All of it, meat and veggies. The meat was moist and I thought it had enough seasoning. Veggies were done perfectly, the carrots were even sweet (more the farm's doing then ours). My MIL was over and she didn't spit it out. And yes, even Teeny Tiny ate it. Challah was higher on her list of things to love about dinner but, she ate!

I don't know how big the roast was, but it looked huge and fed 3 adults and one picky eater with plenty left over for another meal.

Improvements:
Can't think of any, it really worked well. The side dish of chard went in the garbage though. Yuck.

No comments: