Friday, June 06, 2008

My Role Part 7

"The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother." Proverbs 29:15

I have seen this as true. No matter how you feel about spanking, very few people will say a kid without discipline is a wonderful person to be around.

Definition of reproof: an act or expression of criticism, rebuke

Leaving a kid to fend for him/herself, to figure out what is right and wrong, how to be polite, respectful, and to know that the world doesn't revolve around them, not a good idea. Easier in the moment sometimes, but in the long run, the whole world suffers for our laziness.

Spanking for everything with no reason given, not so good. "Because I said so," works for a moment in time, but not for learning. But a swat when appropriate and talking to your kids about what they are doing and why you want them to do something else, that brings wisdom.

Figuring out what each kid needs to learn how to obey: priceless. As in, I would pay anything to have someone tell me, but that isn't how HaShem designed it. Prayer? Oh, yeah, that probably would be good :0)

One thing I've learned over and over in my 21 months of motherhood is this: They get it eventually. So why don't I remember that in the moment? Why to I freak out like she is purposfully not obeying me? Hello?! She's not even 2! And that is where the fun begins. 3 is where it ends... oh, I mean, um. Yeah. Prayer.

Rest of the "My Role" series:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

No comments: